What is colitis?
Colitis is a common digestive disease in which the inner lining of the colon becomes inflamed. Colitis is a general term that describes inflammation in the colon with an undetermined cause. There are many types of colitis, and they are usually defined by the cause of the condition. Colitis is often associated with abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhea, rectal bleeding, loss of appetite, fever, weight loss and bloody stool.
What causes colitis?
As we mentioned earlier, there are several types of colitis, and in most cases, they are defined by what causes them:
● Infectious Colitis – Bacteria and viruses can lead to infections in the colon, including E Coli, Campylobacter and Salmonella. Parasites, such as giardia, can also lead to inflammation in the colon.
● Ischemic Colitis – The arteries responsible for carrying blood to the colon can become narrow, which cause the colon to lose its blood supply and lead to inflammation.
● Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) – The most common forms of IBD is Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. The exact cause of IBD is unknown, but many researchers agree that genetics, environmental factors and a malfunctioning immune system may be associated.
● Chemical Colitis – When chemical are put inside the colon, like from an enema, it can lead to inflammation.
● Microscopic Colitis – There are two types of microscopic colitis, lymphocytic colitis and collagenous colitis, and they occur when lymphocytes or collagen cause the colon to become inflamed.
Is chiropractic care the right colitis treatment option for you?
If you are only experience mild symptoms of colitis, you may find relief with a simple diet change or over the counter medication, but for moderate to severe symptoms, surgery and prescription medication are commonly used for treatment. However, chiropractic care has also been shown to be an effective treatment option.
Are you ready to find a natural treatment option for your colitis? If so, schedule your consultation with our chiropractor today!